Will we roast or starve?

Paul Schlosser SCHLOSSER at ciit.org
Thu Mar 24 15:47:51 EST 1994

The issue is not so much total chlorine output by the planet, but the
amount that reaches the upper atmosphere.  This is a function of the
molecular density of the chlorine containing compounds, so the massive
output by the oceans and/or volcanoes may be more or less irrelevant.
CFCs are fairly light and do get into the upper atmosphere quite readily.

I'd have to do some digging, which I don't have the time for right now,
but the chemistry of CFC related ozone depletion has been studied (at
least in the laboratory).  That's how HFCs have been shown to be less
destructive.  So these regulations are based on scientific data and
observations.

Now going through an entire cost/benefit analysis is appropriate.  In that
regard, while surely DuPont, etc. is not too happy about the change, their
industry is not being destroyed, just changed.  This will also be quite a
large new demand on refrigeration supply companies, etc.

As far as roasting in my car/home goes: I might be less comfortable but it
probably won't kill me.  We know how to build homes so that they have less
demand for air-condition, so I expect a shift to those technologies.

But yes, we will end up paying more for refrigeration - but this extra cost
may reflect the *real* cost, including environmental, of having refrigeration.

Oh, and back to the chemistry:  in catalytic processes the amount of
conversion is not necessarily proportional to the amount of catalyst (Cl
in this case).  A small % change in catalyst can cause a large % change
in the rates of conversion.

In the mean time, I think that I will have my car recharged :-)

Paul
[just a few thoughts - all my own]