DNA

Avesha Jain ajain at dirac.scri.fsu.edu
Mon Mar 28 22:55:26 EST 1994

In article <2mj80q$c5g at eis.calstate.edu> dlevins at eis.calstate.edu (David Levinson) writes:

>--
> Hi,
>   I have a few questions that I need answers to URGENTLY regarding DNA.
>1) My teacher told me that DNA only produces proteins, and I always
>thought that it created the WHOLE body and was the design. What is the
>truth?
>2) I know about DNA replication, but can someone go into the process a little
>further and explain DNA and RNA?
>3) I have been told that DNA is the same in ALL species of organisms, if this
>is true, why can't we replicate or change an organism yet?
>   Overall, can someone explain what DNA really does, and is? Thanks!
>David Levinson
>

>***************************David Levinson*********************
>SysOp at The *Universal* BBS! Call now! 510-484-2774
>Other Internet Addresses:
>Dlevins at ctp.org
>Dlevins at sierra.fwl.edu
>*Quote of the day, "The sky is falling!" Not bad,eh?******

Well, I'll try to answer #2. In DNA replication, an enzyme (called
a restriction enzyme I think) separates the two strands of DNA. New
nucleotides pair with those of the original strand. These nucelotides
also bring along extra phosphates.

   1     2              1        2                1        2
   G-   -C              G--C  G--C                G--C  G--C
   T-   -A              T--A  T--A                T--A  T--A
   A-   -T              A-      -T                A--T  A--T
   A-   -T              A-      -T                A--T  A--T
   G-   -C              G--C  G--C                G--C  G--C
   C-   -G              C-      -G                C--G  C--G
   T-   -A              T--A  T--A                T--A  T--A
+==============+    +===================+   +=======================+
| DNA is split |    |  New nucleotides  |   |   Now you have two    |
| by enzyme    |    | pair with strands |   | duplicate DNA strands |
+==============+    +===================+   +=======================+

I would go on and try to explain RNA, but I think it'd be easier to
understand if you got a book or something. My tenth grade Biology book
provides good info on DNA (Biological Science: A Molecular Approach,
BSCS Blue Version, 6th Edition: Chapter 10.)

Also, if you have a Mac at home or school, I am currently writing an
information program about DNA. It has nice color graphics and provides
a great deal of information (it is not a Hypercard stack). I am hoping
to have it completed by the beginning of May (I don't get a lot of
time to program any more.) I am trying to make it suitable for
classrooms (like having a test in it.) If you would like more info about
it, or have any suggestions, please e-mail me.