paralytic shellfish toxin?

Jane Harrison JEB.Harrison at auckland.ac.nz
Mon May 9 00:37:23 EST 1994


In article <CpEH0E.L02 at mozo.cc.purdue.edu>, muriana at aclcb.purdue.edu (Peter
M. Muriana) wrote:
> 
> 
> >A friend of mine has been asking me about paralytic
> >shellfish toxin, and whether the clams he's digging up
> >in puget sound beaches are safe or not.   He wants to 
> >know where the toxin comes from, what it does, and how
> >the health department tests for it....
> >I'm afraid I'm drawing a blank here.  Anyone out there
> >know more about this?
> -Keith Allen
> 

In New Zealand over the past two summers there has been a major alagal
problem, leading to the closure of most of the shellfish industry during
the worst part.  I am not sure how they tested for the toxins or exactly
what it was (it was just called toxic alagal bloom by the media) but if you
wanted to contact the New Zealand Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries
they would probably have all the info you seek.  There were no reprted
deaths (from memory) but I think that there were a couple of people
hospitalised with paralysis after eating shell fish. 
Jane

Jane Harrison                       "All Opinons are Mine and Mine alone"
Molecular Medicine
University of Auckland              'Science is like being God, only I have
Private Bag 92019, Auckland, NZ      time and budget constraints'
Voice 64 9 373 7599x6718/6275
Email JEB.Harrison at auckland.ac.nz



More information about the Bioforum mailing list