RFD: Microbiology Update

BIOSCI Administrator biosci-help at NET.BIO.NET
Mon May 16 16:34:18 EST 1994

> If there is any significant change to the proposal, the vote should be
> postponed a week or so, to give everyone a chance to discuss the changes.

Proposals have always been put out for ten days of discussion and are
then voted upon with any modifications that the discussion leader
decides to put in.  In this regards we are putting some trust in the
intelligence of the person who puts together the proposal instead of
subjecting decisions to additional rounds of public review.  The
discussion leader can request a delay if he/she wishes - this has
happened before; otherwise the vote will proceed as scheduled on the
23rd.

If the proposal put out to a vote is still flawed, then people should
vote NO.  This is much stronger feedback than other methods.  If the
vote fails, then the proposer can come back again in three months and
try to do it better next time.  If the proposer cares about the group,
this is a strong incentive to do it right the first time.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIOSCI/bionet Manager

				biosci-help at net.bio.net