Question on chillies

Peter Herman x5495 rpeter at
Mon Nov 7 15:47:19 EST 1994

In article <39co7s$2mu at> Clemens Suter-Crazzolara <un691cs at> writes:
>> : But what about units?  How about Sombreros?
>> I was watching one of these pseudo science programs and their is an actual
>> unit of "hottness" of chillies, but I've tried all day and I cant remember
>> what it is.
>> mike
>IMHO, probably one of the best answers to a bionet question yet.

I think that the unit that you are looking for is the Scoville Unit
(sp?) which is used to measure hotness.  This is not as dumb as it
might sound at first blush.  There are lots of uses for chile (note
the proper :-) ie New Mexico spelling) which do NOT want it to be
hot.  Much of what we grow here in the chile capital of the world is
used in coloring of food poducts where hotness is not what you want.

rpeter at
Peter Herman
Derpt of Biology
New Mexiico State Univ.