Instant bloodclot fesability?

Bernard Murray bernard at
Wed Nov 16 02:32:48 EST 1994

In article <3a9ss1$ggs at>, u3f38 at (DG Coombes) writes:
> Anthony Tomlinson (tomlinson at wrote:
> : Yes, it's possible, feasible, and in common use in American
> : surgery.  I believe (I just read about it recently,
> : and it's not my field)  that fibrinogen and thrombin are
> : squirted from a double-barreled syringe type thing (epoxy
> : resin applicators spring to mind), onto
> : a wound (eye surgery and GI surgery were mentioned),
> : and more or less instantly seal it.  Sutures may still be
> : used for strength, but the fibrin does the sealing.
> So why isn't it in more general use at accidents etc?  I was thinking more
> of an (environmentally friendly) aerosol for use in motorway pile-ups etc.
> David Coombes (u3f38 at

I think that the principle is applied, but through the use of an impregnated
gauze rather than an aerosol (which sounds a bit too much like something
from Dr. McCoy ;-) ).  I'd guess that in a motorway pile-up a tourniquet would
be a little more effective than a giant blood clot.  You'll notice that both
of the examples cited above are for surgery on a small scale.  I suppose its
somewhat ironic that most of the high-tech research appears to have gone
into preventing/dissolving blood clots (eg. TPA).

Bernard Murray, Ph.D.
bernard at (National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda MD, USA)