Question on chillies

Christina McGeorge cmcg at csulb.edu
Thu Nov 17 16:35:21 EST 1994

Peter Herman x5495 (rpeter at nmsu.edu) wrote:
: In article <39co7s$2mu at mserv1.dl.ac.uk> Clemens Suter-Crazzolara <un691cs at genius.embnet.dkfz-heidelberg.de> writes:
: >> : But what about units?  How about Sombreros?
: >>
: >> I was watching one of these pseudo science programs and their is an actual
: >> unit of "hottness" of chillies, but I've tried all day and I cant remember
: >> what it is.
: >>
: >> mike
: >>
: >IMHO, probably one of the best answers to a bionet question yet.
: >
: >clemens
: >

: I think that the unit that you are looking for is the Scoville Unit
: (sp?) which is used to measure hotness.  This is not as dumb as it
: might sound at first blush.  There are lots of uses for chile (note
: the proper :-) ie New Mexico spelling) which do NOT want it to be
: hot.  Much of what we grow here in the chile capital of the world is
: used in coloring of food poducts where hotness is not what you want.

: rpeter at nmsu.edu
: Peter Herman
: Derpt of Biology
: New Mexiico State Univ.