bioremdiation

Kwisatz Haderach mauddib at er6.rutgers.edu
Tue Nov 22 17:22:29 EST 1994

            My name is Scott Guzman, an undergraduate Enviro. Science
student. I'm currently doing a proposal for a scientific and technical
writing class and I chose bioremediation as my subject. Well I've a few
questions for you all if that is ok.  Throughout my research
on the topic, I noticed something interesting in NATURE. The article
mentioned that the success in the Valdez spill is not entirely accountable
to the use of fertilizers.  They mentioned how residue oil interacted with
mineral particles to form flocculated "oil-in-water" emulsions...thus
increasing surface area tremendously...thus increasing rate of
biodegradation. I was just wondering if anyone has heard of any project
that deals with increasing the surface area of say ... oil in this manner.
It was unintentional (and quite natural!) with the Valdez spill. Why
couldn't we use this as a precursor to bioremdial treatment?  Any info
would help tremendously. Thank you.

-Scott Guzman-