The Ideal Biology Graduate

DG Coombes u3f38 at cc.keele.ac.uk
Tue Nov 22 06:44:38 EST 1994

Steve Scadding (scadding at uoguelph.ca) wrote:
: I am currently involved in a process of curriculum review in this
: department.  Instead of focusing on programs and courses as we have done
: in the past, we are trying to develop a vision of what our objectives are
: in offering a four year university program in Biology.  In particular, we
: are trying to develop a picture of what our ideal graduating student
: would look like.  What knowledge would they possess?  What skills would
: they possess?  What sorts of things would we expect them to be able to
: do?  What sorts of experiences should they have had? etc., etc., etc.
: We then hope to develop a curriculum which will bring about this desired
: outcome.
: Has anyone at other institutions tried to define their goals in terms of
: the desired characteristics of their graduates?  If so, I would be
: delighted to hear from you.
: How would you describe the ideal graduate of a four year biology program?
: Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated?

: *****************************************************************
: Steven R. Scadding,                 Phone: 519-824-4120 Ext. 3334
: Department of Zoology,              Fax:  519-767-1656
: University of Guelph,
: Guelph, Ontario,                    Email: scadding at uoguelph.CA
: CANADA   N1G 2W1

I say the ideal graduate would be about 5' 6", dark haired, pale
complection.  Spectacles are a must.  Smart but casual clothing (no ties)
and a long, black raincoat.  Heck, that sounds just like ME :)

David Coombes (u3f38 at keele.ac.uk)
(Insert old sig here)
Because if just one person reads it and gains a new perspective, or clearer
understanding, or a new sense of hope, it's worth it :)