Instant bloodclot fesability?

David Barrass barrass at pplros.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 22 09:01:11 EST 1994

In article <3ai37l$oha at gabriel.keele.ac.uk> DG Coombes,
u3f38 at cc.keele.ac.uk writes:
>Use of genetic manipulation to produce a bacterial culture making
figrinogen
>etc. would be my choice, but I don't know if there's specificity in
>fibrinogen structure for individuals.  For big pile ups a "clotting
juice"
>soaked cloth made of a substance which is gradually destroyed by the body
>(like dissolving stitches) could be applied.  The cloth could be absorped
>into the blood clot to form a barrier that would gradually "dissolve" as
the
>wound heals.

Eukaryotic secretory proteins are glycosylated as an
essential part of the active molecule.  This glycosylation
is not conserved in prokaryotes, so a protein such as
fibrinogen would not be active if produced by a bug,
 and in fact in the case of fibrinogen, which is has six
 subunits encoded by three genes, the protein would probably
 not be assembled at all.  Some people (mentioning no
 names!) have produced intact, biologically active fibrinogen
 in the milk of trandgenic mice, and in my very biased opinion
 this is the way to go, only with large mammals such as
 sheep.  I don't know much about the various applications,
 but your gauze idea sounds like it could work for serious
 burns.  Wouldn't a large mass of fibrin/scar tissue be detrimental
 in some cases, such as lacerations (which are common in
 road accidents)?