SERC FUNDED STUDENTS

sbaker at molbiol.ox.ac.uk sbaker at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 5 07:04:59 EST 1994

I think that the question of Ph.D. funding will always be a vexed one. I
beleive it is also possible to obtain funding from Welcome and do a three year
Ph.D. at L10,000, though this is taxed. The SERC, BBSRC and AFRC studentships
will always remain low until the demand for Ph.D. places is lower - there is
always someone who will wrok for less.

As for the idea of a a 25% cut in numbers of places to pay for a four year
Ph.D., IMO this would be of benefit. The quality of students would rise as
fewer places are available and it would be possible to gain some sort of
experience while doing a doctorate. I worked in the Netherlands for a year
immediately after my Ph.D., and in comparison to the people there, I had no
right to call myself a post-doc. The five to seven years that it takes there
means that you have the time to develop the project that you are given, and
gain expereince in a wide variety of techniques. It disappoints me when German
students come over here to try and get a "quick" Ph.D. IMO the GB Ph.D. has
LESS value. It sometimes makes me wonder how we in Britain retain our place in
the scientific community......

Simon Baker
Oxford, UK