REQ: Biological Computers

Brian Smith-White smithwhi at
Wed Oct 5 01:21:00 EST 1994

In Article <1994Oct5.105215.13723 at> "pcw at (The unUnix Manager)" says:
> Hello, I am a final Computer Scientist at University of Brighton.  I wish to
> study Bioloical Computers for my dissertation but I am unable to locate
> any literature on the subject.  If anyone can help I would very grateful
> for a few pointers
Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a "Biological Computer"? Is that a
computer composed of only organic molecules - no silicon ram, no rare earth
hard drive, no glass video screen, ..... . Or is a biological computer a
biological entity - entire organism, tissue, cell of a multicell organism,
organelle of a eukaryote - that appears to exhibit behavior that is driven
by computation? Might a brain be a suitable candidate for a biological