Tumour growth rates

Bernard Murray bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov
Wed Oct 12 02:38:35 EST 1994

Ian Davis (davis at licre.ludwig.edu.au) wrote
>I have a question on the problem of comparing tumour growth rates in mice.
>Traditionally in the literature ....
[Details ommitted for brevity]

>I have recently used a different method and I would like some feedback on
>whether people think it is valid.

>Assume that a tumour grows in an exponential fashion from size 0 at time 0.
>The equation to describe this growth curve is y = 10^(bt) where y = the tumour
>measurement (bidirectional in my case), t = time and b = constant for a
>particular tumour type.
[More trimming]

>Ian Davis					davis at licre.ludwig.edu.au

I am not altogether clear as to when your approach would be particularly
useful (but I'm not a tumour biologist).
	One problem that you will have to face is that tumours rarely stay
in a pure exponential growth phase for extended periods of time.  Tumour
growth kinetics are traditionally described with an exponential decrease
in growth rate with increasing tumour size, eg. the Gompertz growth
function;

	Mt = Mo exp{A/r [1-exp(-rt)]}

I was brought up with Gordon Steel's classic (IMHO) text, "Growth kinetics
of tumours" (1977).  I don't know how much things have changed during the
last 7 or 8 years but that was the state of the art for a while.  What's a
good recent review?
			Bernard

Bernard Murray, Ph.D.