TIBS newsgroup proposal

David Kristofferson kristoff at net.bio.net
Fri Oct 14 14:08:54 EST 1994

In article <Cxo1z6.AqI at osuunx.ucc.okstate.edu>,
 <biocukm at okway.okstate.edu> wrote:
>I have read much of the discussion on the TIBS newsgroup proposal and wish
>to reply in general.  I thus apologize for not quoting specific
>individuals'posts.
>
>Two objections to the proposal appear to be:
>1. the newsgroup would somehow further the commercial interests of
>Elsevier
>2. the participants would have to be readers of TIBS.
>These are related, since the commercial interests of Elsevier principally
>would be furthered by acquiring more readers (presumably subscribers).

This may happen to some extent, but most scientists can already turn
to their libraries (is there any place that doesn't carry TIBS??) if
they need to refer to an individual article.

>I suggest a modification that may lessen the potential for commercial
>gain:
>The moderator should, at the beginning of each thread, insert a summary of
>the article being discussed.
>Unless the discussion concerns minutiae of the article, non-readers should
>be able to join the discussion given that information.
>
>Ulrich Melcher
>Oklahoma State University
>biocukm at okway.okstate.edu

This definitely would introduce non-readers into the discussion more
easily.  I'm sure it is possible without much expense to get an
electronic copy of the abstract of the article being discussed, but
this is TIBS' call.  If the moderator had to spend the time to compose
a more detailed summary, this would incur an expense which might
create problems with the viability of the group.  Because of the
widespread availability of library copies, the commercial issue
doesn't personally sway me to a great extent.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIOSCI/bionet Manager

				biosci-help at net.bio.net