giant panda debate

Kermit's #1 Fan t1adaniels at sallie.wellesley.edu
Sat Oct 15 16:07:29 EST 1994

	I work in a bookstore.  Recently a woman was buying a children's
book all about bears. The book, which was dated 1994, included pandas. When
I voiced my disbelief, the woman agreed, got confused and didn't buy the
book.
	Also recently,  I saw a show on PBS about bears. The show stated
that pandas (giant and red) are relatives of the raccoon, which is what I
always thought.

	Does anyone know if pandas are related to bears, raccoons, or even
if the zoological world is in fact in a heated debate over the topic?

	Please email me directly with your answer.  I rarely get to check
the newsgroups.

Thanks.

A. Daniels
the curious.