REQ: Biological Computers

Tony Nugent T.Nugent at
Sat Oct 15 20:39:32 EST 1994

toms at (Tom Schneider) writes:

>In article <1994Oct5.105215.13723 at> pcw at
>(Paul Warren) writes:

>| Hello, I am a final Computer Scientist at University of Brighton.  I wish to
>| study Bioloical Computers for my dissertation but I am unable to locate
>| any literature on the subject.

WHAT?  Sheez - there's HEAPS!

For a start, dig out anything written by Rodger Staden (he's
written a lot in Nucleic Acids Research and more recently in
CABIOS - Computer Applications in the Biosceinces - both
excellent journals for this purpose, among several that address
this subject).

There are many books written on the subject.  If Paul wants to
email me, then I'll give him a (modest) list of references that
I've been collecting.

And there's also the mass of information available for ftp from
genbank and embl and other such places.  I've also got a
collection of these sites - email me if you want.

>How about raising the question on

There's also, which gave me a good start :)

One thing though...

I've got LOTS of info about programs etc for protein and nucleic
acid sequence analysis, but I've yet to track down something
about carbohydrate sequence analysis - a field which would have
some rather unique aspects to it, as carbohydrate polymers have
multiple branching - and therefore quite complex and convoluted
primary - and not to mention secondary and tertiary -

Can anyone point me in the direction of any software and/or
literature/information about such databanks and CHO analysis
methods?  -- Thanks.

 /_ \ Tony Nugent  Griffith University, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia\___
 \@)_\     Email:  T.Nugent at   tnugent at \(@\