TIBS newsgroup proposal

Bullock, David bullock at kahu.lincoln.ac.nz
Sun Oct 16 19:05:29 EST 1994

In article <Cxo1z6.AqI at osuunx.ucc.okstate.edu> biocukm at okway.okstate.edu writes:

>Two objections to the proposal appear to be:
>1. the newsgroup would somehow further the commercial interests of
>Elsevier
>2. the participants would have to be readers of TIBS.
>These are related, since the commercial interests of Elsevier principally
>would be furthered by acquiring more readers (presumably subscribers).

>Ulrich Melcher
>Oklahoma State University
>biocukm at okway.okstate.edu

The above echoes the sentiments in my original post.  Having followed
subsequent discussion with interest, I am afraid I remain unconvinced.  This
seems like an open invitation to off-the-cuff opinions that, moderated or
not, will add little to informed debate.  The way to correct errors in the
literature is to get in the lab and do some work, not offer armchair
criticism of the work done by others and painstakingly reviewed, however
imperfectly, by reputable journals.  Writing to authors is by no means passe
and does not require a world-wide electronic medium, IMHO.  Sorry, Dave! :-)
BTW, I am not at all averse to innovation and my students are fed up with
hearing me preach how technology drives discovery (and vice-versa).  The use
of the electronic media to communicate hot new data, as practised by the
physics people, is a different matter entirely.

David W. Bullock                                Tel: 64 3 325 3803
Centre for Molecular Biology                    Fax: 64 3 325 3851
Lincoln University                              E-mail: BULLOCK at lincoln.ac.nz
PO Box 84, Canterbury
New Zealand               "Language is the greatest barrier to communication."