21 Units of Alcohol

tivol at tethys.ph.albany.edu tivol at tethys.ph.albany.edu
Wed Oct 19 15:31:04 EST 1994

Dear Deniz,
	My guess is that one "unit of alcohol" is one shot of 100 proof liquor.
This translates into about 23 cm^3 of 95% ethanol.  The potentially dangerous
assumption involved is that the unit is one shot (1.5 fluid ounces).  I'd
guess that three drinks (or glasses of wine) per day is what is meant, but if
I were you I'd err on the side of caution.  Wine taken with a meal is probab-
ly less harmful than wine drunk on an empty stomach, etc.  You don't want to
fool around with your liver (I had acute type A hep).  Good luck.
				Yours,
				Bill Tivol