Disease associate with the Y-Chromosome?

Donald A. Lehn, Ph.D. dalehn at facstaff.wisc.edu
Thu Oct 20 14:07:44 EST 1994

In article <386443$t7t at btree.brooktree.com>, avila at btree.brooktree.com (Jose Avila) says:

>Hello Everyone,
>        In my biology class, we are learning about chromosomes and
>genes.  Our teacher was explaining that all but one disease released
>from chromosome mutation comes from the X Chromosome of the mother.

I hope he's talking about sex-linked diseases.  There are hundreds
of genetic diseases that have been mapped to chromosomes other than
the X and Y.

>He
>said that there is one disease which can be associated with the Y
>Chromosome from the father.  He didn't know the name though.  Is anyone
>familiar with this subject.  If so, what is the name of that disease?

Joe,

The one that comes to mind is XY gonodal dysgenesis.

Donald A. Lehn, Ph.D.                   Phone:  (608) 263-7668
Medical Sciences Center / 3415          Fax:    (608) 262-9300
University of Wisconsin Medical School  Email:  dalehn at facstaff.wisc.edu
1300 University Avenue                  Home:   (608) 277-1025
Madison, WI 53706-1532
<<<<<<< No, I'm not a real doctor -- I just teach 'em! >>>>>>>