Homebrew saline for Contact Lenses

Shawn C. Baker scbaker at ucdavis.edu
Sat Oct 22 02:51:07 EST 1994

In article <388iqa$kka at cerberus-138.wustl.edu>
riesenbe at medicine (Brad Riesenberger) writes:

>    On a related topic, many of us use a peroxide sterilization method;
>    the stuff seems to be oddly expensive. What's wrong with using
>    plain old 3% USP peroxide available at any grocery/pharmacy
>    for 50 cents a bottle?
>
>    I've wondered this for a long time but never tried it.
>
>    Thanks and regards.
>    Brad Riesenberger   riesenbe at medicine.wustl.edu

I have been using "drugstore" peroxide for several years now for
sterilizing my contacts and have not noticed any adverse effects. (Of
course, my vision is horrendous;i.e., roughly 20/1000.  Would I really
be able to notice any adverse effects?)  The only difference seems to
be that the  peroxide sterilization solution is in a buffered saline
solution.

--
Shawn C. Baker              Division of Biological Sciences
scbaker at ucdavis.edu         Section of Molec. and Cell. Bio.