Homebrew saline for Contact Lenses

Frederick Garbrecht FRED at bmt.mcw.edu
Sat Oct 22 10:17:32 EST 1994

> To:            bioforum at net.bio.net
> From:          scbaker at ucdavis.edu (Shawn C. Baker)
> Subject:       Re: Homebrew saline for Contact Lenses
> Date:          22 Oct 1994 07:51:07 GMT

> In article <388iqa$kka at cerberus-138.wustl.edu>
> riesenbe at medicine (Brad Riesenberger) writes:
>
> >    On a related topic, many of us use a peroxide sterilization method;
> >    the stuff seems to be oddly expensive. What's wrong with using
> >    plain old 3% USP peroxide available at any grocery/pharmacy
> >    for 50 cents a bottle?
> >
> >    I've wondered this for a long time but never tried it.
> >
> >    Thanks and regards.
> >    Brad Riesenberger   riesenbe at medicine.wustl.edu
> >

> I have been using "drugstore" peroxide for several years now for
> sterilizing my contacts and have not noticed any adverse effects. (Of
> course, my vision is horrendous;i.e., roughly 20/1000.  Would I really
> be able to notice any adverse effects?)  The only difference seems to
> be that the  peroxide sterilization solution is in a buffered saline
> solution.
>

> --
> Shawn C. Baker              Division of Biological Sciences
> scbaker at ucdavis.edu         Section of Molec. and Cell. Bio.
> (916) 752-3111              University of California - Davis
>                             Davis, CA  95616

Be aware that products marketed for cleaning and sterilizing contac
lenses are manufactured under GMP/GLP standards and meet FDA regs for
efficacy and safety.  Homebrew solutions and off the counter peroxide
are not.  Why risk your vision to save a few pennies?

Frederick C. Garbrecht
fred at bmt.mcw.edu
Bone Marrow Transplant Program
Medical College of Wisconsin