Homebrew saline for Contact Lenses

Loryn Sellner lsellner at uniwa.uwa.edu.au
Mon Oct 24 02:19:49 EST 1994

Shawn C. Baker (scbaker at ucdavis.edu) wrote:
: In article <388iqa$kka at cerberus-138.wustl.edu>
: riesenbe at medicine (Brad Riesenberger) writes:

: >    On a related topic, many of us use a peroxide sterilization method;
: >    the stuff seems to be oddly expensive. What's wrong with using
: >    plain old 3% USP peroxide available at any grocery/pharmacy
: >    for 50 cents a bottle?
: >
: >    I've wondered this for a long time but never tried it.
: >
: >    Thanks and regards.
: >    Brad Riesenberger   riesenbe at medicine.wustl.edu
: >

: I have been using "drugstore" peroxide for several years now for
: sterilizing my contacts and have not noticed any adverse effects. (Of
: course, my vision is horrendous;i.e., roughly 20/1000.  Would I really
: be able to notice any adverse effects?)  The only difference seems to
: be that the  peroxide sterilization solution is in a buffered saline
: solution.

I also used to use el cheapo peroxide, and I also have absolutely
horrendous vision. Is there a trend here?

Loryn

: --
: Shawn C. Baker              Division of Biological Sciences
: scbaker at ucdavis.edu         Section of Molec. and Cell. Bio.
: (916) 752-3111              University of California - Davis
:                             Davis, CA  95616