proposal for new bionet group for microsatellites

Kevin O'Donnell odonnell at sasa.gov.uk
Wed Oct 26 03:17:14 EST 1994

In article <1705A98A8S86.SBROWN at GAES.GRIFFIN.PEACHNET.EDU>, SBROWN at GAES.GRIFFIN.PEACHNET.EDU (Stuart Brown) says:

>I would like to start the discussion process for creating a new bionet
>group for discussions related to microsatellite sequences.  Currently
>discussions about microsatellites take place in a number of different
>bionet groups including Methods and Reagents, Genome Project,
>genome.arabidopsis, Chromomosome, and probably some others that I don't
>regularly follow.

There has been some discussion in the rapds newsgroup, on whether it
should be expanded to take in a range of methods for molecular markers
RAPDs, RFLPs, AFLPs, and the various forms of simple sequence repeats.

This would still be my prefered option, rather than having a RAPD group
and microsattelite group and (as it becomes more widely used) an AFLP
group and (insert as yet undeveloped method here).

I suppose it depends on the likely volume of traffic in separate groups
and whether there is likely to be significant overlap between people
using the different methods.

Kevin O'Donnell
Scottish Agricultural Science Agency
Edinburgh