Alternatives to a local Usenet server

BIOSCI Administrator biohelp at net.bio.net
Fri Sep 2 18:08:40 EST 1994

In article <3488hs$2u2 at nntp2.Stanford.EDU>,
Mike Cherry <cherry at stout.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
>In article <348085$im2 at net.bio.net>,
>BIOSCI Administrator <biohelp at net.bio.net> wrote:
>>We will also, with NSF's permission, be looking into non-grant sources
>>of maintaining BIOSCI as a non-profit operation in the future, and,
>>allowing low-cost login accounts on the machine for people who have
>>Internet but not news access, may be one means of raising some revenue
>>to pay for our network connection and hardware maintenance.  Obviously
>>with many public access sites coming on-line all the time, any fees
>>collected would have to be small.  I'm not sure yet how feasible this
>>would be.
>
>I may be wrong but I think America Online and Delphi already provide
>access to some of USENET.  I know they both are providing access to
>Gopher.  I think Compuserve and eWorld are also working on providing
>access to Internet resources, but not quite yet.  Any old normal
>account on these so called commercial bulletin board services gets you
>to the Internet.  Of course there are lots of big and small Internet
>providers around these days that have monthly pricing that appears to
>be very reasonable.  With a network provider you can get a login
>account on an Internet connected computer, or for a little more per
>month make your home computer an Internet node via SLIP or PPP.
>
>Clearly people do not need to wait for any new commercial services to
>become available.  Check out your local bookstore and see the
>explosion of books on Internet.  Special packages are also available,
>right now only for PCs - Macintosh versions are announced, that
>provide you with "all" the software (networking and applications) plus
>an account on an network provider.
>
>Mike

Yes, not only was I aware of those but there are other services such
as Netcom that give flat rate Internet access for $17.50 per month
without all of the restrictions that AOL, etc., entail.  (Of course, I
have no financial connections with any of them.).  That's why I was
mentioning above that I have doubts about the viability of such an
option as the fee that BIOSCI could collect would have to be less than
or equal to the ones currently being charged to be competitive.
Unless the demand for such a service was really high, it probably
wouldn't raise much revenue.  We have several other options to explore
however.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIOSCI/bionet Manager