Alternatives to a local Usenet server

Mike Cherry cherry at stout.Stanford.EDU
Fri Sep 2 17:21:48 EST 1994

In article <348085$im2 at net.bio.net>,
BIOSCI Administrator <biohelp at net.bio.net> wrote:
>We will also, with NSF's permission, be looking into non-grant sources
>of maintaining BIOSCI as a non-profit operation in the future, and,
>allowing low-cost login accounts on the machine for people who have
>Internet but not news access, may be one means of raising some revenue
>to pay for our network connection and hardware maintenance.  Obviously
>with many public access sites coming on-line all the time, any fees
>collected would have to be small.  I'm not sure yet how feasible this
>would be.

I may be wrong but I think America Online and Delphi already provide
access to some of USENET.  I know they both are providing access to
Gopher.  I think Compuserve and eWorld are also working on providing
access to Internet resources, but not quite yet.  Any old normal
account on these so called commercial bulletin board services gets you
to the Internet.  Of course there are lots of big and small Internet
providers around these days that have monthly pricing that appears to
be very reasonable.  With a network provider you can get a login
account on an Internet connected computer, or for a little more per
month make your home computer an Internet node via SLIP or PPP.

Clearly people do not need to wait for any new commercial services to
become available.  Check out your local bookstore and see the
explosion of books on Internet.  Special packages are also available,
right now only for PCs - Macintosh versions are announced, that
provide you with "all" the software (networking and applications) plus
an account on an network provider.

Mike