The Bigfoot Research Project, (Recapitulation)

Henry James Franzoni CAVEMAN at teleport.com
Sat Sep 3 03:58:30 EST 1994

    I just looked in bionet.general for the first time in a week.  I
am surprised to see my newsreader filled with messages titled 'Henry Franzoni'.
Just when I thought there was no appetite here for serious "Sasquatch"
diuscussions.

    I can see that there appear to be essentially seven schools of thought
among the various postings about Sasquatch/Bigfoot.

    1) One interesting about Bigfoot Research is that scientists in the
    bionet.general forum would take this question seriously at all. The fact
    that scientists actually were polite in their debating, was perhaps
    an indication of the decline of western civilization, and the rise of
    pseudo-science, and various forms of religious belief like "scientism".

    2) "Proving the existence of Bigfoot" is stupid... no room for
    falsification in this aim... do not assume the existence of Bigfoot,
    this is stupid, not "scientific", do not waste our time with this
    nonsense, spend money on AIDS research, cancer cures, not something
    as trivial as Bigfoot research. The quest is ridiculous.
    If science finds an investigation dubious from the start, science
    should drop it.

    3) If you were aiming to find the sources of the footprints,
    whether or not the footprints were faked or falsified by someone,
    what natural phenomenon could have caused them...etc. This would
    be a better approach, capable of falsification, and not predisposed
    towards the "reality" of Bigfoot.

    4) Please continue to look, respectable scientists wouldn't touch
    this sort of thing with a 50 foot battle-axe, someone has to do it.

    5) Hey, if they actually come up with some good data,
    (a 1 in-a-million chance), respectable scientists can analyze it,
    at least those "goofy" guys came to the right forum to have their
    data reviewed properly.

    6) What's with this mighty foot stuff? huh?

    7) Alt.Bigfoot rules the net.

    Interesting... I see we each have our agendas... I respect the
    scientific criticizm that I have received here in bionet.general...
    thanks, that's what I wanted from you who read these messages.

    Instead of tryuing to persuade any of the various camps to come to
    terms with any of the others, I would like to expand on something
    that Silas Salmonberry brought up in an earlier posting.

    I live in Oregon, Native American peoples where I live believe in the
existence of Bigfoot, in fact, elders in the local tribes have said on
many occasions that white people (Eurocentric people) shouldn't look for them,
they should leave "the Bigfoot creatures" alone.

    Where I live, almost every Native American believes in the existence
    of Bigfoot, almost every Eurocentric person does not.

    Perhaps this disagreement is only interesting from a "sociological"
perspective, as two cultural belief systems in conflict.  I do not think
so.  My own thoughts are more along the lines of a Yakama Indian named Louis
Mann, who ended a tale about Bigfoot that he was telling he friend L.V.
McWhorter in 1916:

     "Here ends the story, the story told to me by my
grandmother when I was a little boy.  I give it for the
foreign nationality which has come, that the whites may know
the learning of the Indian, may know the wisdom of the race
they have destroyed."

    Yes, Eurocentric people often look upon Indian belief as
superstitious, naive, uninformed, un-scientific, not fully rational...etc.
It is very easy to disregard Native American thought, it is easy to
dismiss Native American belief.... especially if you are not Native American.

    Native American people want to understand what is "true" and what
isn't. Siomilar in aim to the scientist, Native Americane want to develop
"unshakable" meanings, that are not threatened or undermined when face
to face with the cherished meanings of an opposing school of thought,
I.E., in the "big debate", the scientist wants to be "correct", just
as much as anybody else.  The scientist and the Native American both aim to
develop a symbolic representation of the world, that is verifiably "true" in
some "real" way.  The scientist needs falsifiable hypothesis testing by
experiment, the Native American needs some experience in his life that
tells him/her that the symbolic believe system, the symbolic representation
they are considering accepting as true, is true in some "actual" way.

   Native Americans are generally not opposed to science, unless it is
used to diminish the habitat for all of God's creatures.  Native Americans
generally do not believe that other creatures and the other natural resources
of the earth exist to satisfy man's various appetites, They generally
think it is absurd, silly, and stupid that Eurocentric peoples have
used scientific tools to bring us to the brink of ecological ruin.
evidently the Earth is being changed by man made substances, and life
may become more difficult for mankind and other higher life forms,
while perhaps these envionmental changes enable the cockroaches
to become the dominant species on Earth.

    So, here in Oregon, native peoples often say about Bigfoot, "Leave them
alone, don't look for them and disturb them, White Man!", and in general
scientists say "There's no credible evidence, no body or bones,
I'm extremely skeptical of the so called 'reality' of Bigfoot, to say
the least".

    I believe there is at least a germ of truth in the Native American
Legends and Lore and about Bigfoot in my neck of the woods. I have a
schism in my soul however, part of me wants to obtain some sort of verifyable,
credible, scientifcally acceptable evidence of the "existence" or "reality"
of Bigfoot, part of me wants to say, "I know BFs are real, leave them alone,
the Native Americans are correct in their diagnosis of the best strategy for
coping creatively with the situation".

    Why do I believe?  I've encountered an animal I didn't recognize in
the mountain forests in Oregon. I didn't see it, but I've smelled and
heard an animal I didn't recognize on more than one occasion.

    I can understand why local "myths" and other explanations exist to
explain the smells and sounds that I've experienced first hand.  I am
not a rabid fanatic gibbering and drooling... punctuating the
slobbering noises that I generate with screams of "Bigfoot is Real"
now and then.   No... it's not that bad yet... I don't want to be any more
stupid than I already am, I don't want to have my beliefs easily dismissed,
I don't want people to regard me as naive and superstitious and NOT-logical...
although, that has proven impossible in the past.

    I also have in my possession two plaster track casts of footprints
made by my friend, a retired Deputy Sheriff of Grays Harbor County in
the state of Washington, Fred Bradshaw, last Wednesday, 8/24/94,
above the headwaters of the Green River in Washington.

    In total, there were 22 tracks that Fred cast.  The tracks were
were found by a person named Ray Wallace, who saw them flying over the area
in a helicopter.  Fred and Ray then flew back to the area. Happens alot
around here, fake or not.

    There are phenomenon that occur here in Oregon and Washington that
have acquired a mythical or legendary explanation, but no scientific
explanation.

    "Eye-Witness reports" are not scientific data, yet The Western Bigfoot
Society has over 1,000 reports, and the Bigfoot Research Project has over
150 reports that have been graded in some fashion as to credibility,
(although I don't know what criterion was used to determine the "credibility"
of the 150 reports selected from a much larger group of BF reports.)

    Are "Eye-Witness" reports still completely lacking all credibility
when one collects over 1,000 from a given geographical area?

    Only ONE report has to be genuine...for there to be some reason
to regard the existence of Bigfoot as a genuine possibility.  I think the
chances of this are good, given the number of recent reports.

    Dr. Bernard Huevelmans, the "father of Cryptozoology", is on the
Board of Advisors of the Bigfoot Research Project, along with Dr. Robert Pyle.
The Bigfoot Research Project is privately funded, and DOES NOT WANT YOUR
MONEY IN ANY WAY!!!  They are not soliciting donations. They DO want to
engage in disussions with credible, knowledgeble, qualified scientists,
who are willing to speak with them.  They don't want to waste your time,
if you think you are wasting time speaking with them, please don't.  If you
have any sort of .02$ to throw in, contructive criticism, destructive criticism,
thanks, a lot of your suggestions have helped the B.R.P. focus its research.

    Lastly, the more I learn about the Bigfoot phenomenon, the more
genuinely significant it seems to be.  It's an extreme position to take,
but I don't think that it is fair to rule out the possibility that there
may be knowledge to be found in this field that history will see as equal
in value to curing cancer or curing AIDS.  I think we may learn about
ourselves more, our irrational selves, I think there is tremendous knowledge
to be gained about human irrationality from the study of bigfoot.

    And the postings in bionet.general prove my point <g>