CALL FOR DISCUSSION: CARDIOVASCULAR-RESEARCH/bionet.biology.cardiovascular

BIOSCI Administrator biosci-help at net.bio.net
Thu Sep 8 13:32:34 EST 1994

We have received a proposal below for a new newsgroup,

CARDIOVASCULAR-RESEARCH/bionet.biology.cardiovascular

Discussion on the following proposal will now be open through
18 September on BIOFORUM/bionet.general (*not* on
BIONEWS/bionet.announce).  For those who are not on the
BIOFORUM/bionet.general newsgroup currently, either read
bionet.general on USENET or contact one of the following biosci
addresses to sign up by e-mail:

Subscription Address                 Location
--------------------                 --------
biosci at daresbury.ac.uk               Europe, Africa, and Central Asia
biosci at net.bio.net                   Americas and the Pacific Rim

One warning, however: BIOFORUM/bionet.general is a "chatty" newsgroup
and many other items will be discussed there besides this newsgroup
proposal.  USENET news access is definitely better than e-mail if you
want to monitor only this discussion.

Discussion Guidelines
---------------------
Please do not post one-line messages saying things like "I am in favor
of such a newsgroup".  We will collect votes later.  The discussion
period is an opportunity for anyone to bring up reservations about the
proposed charter below and to propose modifications prior to the vote.
If the charter is perfect as is, then there is no need for anyone to
say anything!!!

The newsgroup discussion leader may submit a revised proposal in light
of the discussion, and the new charter would be included in the call
for votes which will go out on 19 September (Newsgroup Discussion
leaders - please note this deadline - if no revisions are received
before the deadline, the original charter will be voted on.).

Please be aware that only one vote is counted per e-mail address, so
it is necessary to have your own account in order to vote.  Multiple
votes from the same address are not accepted.  If you are interested
in the following newsgroup, but do not have an e-mail address of your
own, please obtain one from your computer center before the call for
votes is issued.

Proposed mailing addresses: cardiors at net.bio.net
                            cardiors at daresbury.ac.uk

Discussion leader:

	Zhandong Zhou
	H4/383 Clinical Science Center
	University of Wisconsin-Madison
	600 Highland Ave.
	Madison, WI 53792
	U.S.A.

	Tel: 608-263-2284
	Fax: 608-263-0454
	Email: zhandong at macc.wisc.edu

Purpose of the news group:

Cardiovascular disease is one of the leading causes of death in most
industrialized countries. Over the last few decades, this has been one
of the most intensively studied areas in biological science. The
advance of new technology, such as DNA sequencing, northern and
southern blotting, PCR, patch clamp, Ca2+ dye and single cell force
measurement has rapidly extended our knowledge to molecular level.

The proposed news group is supposed to discuss all cardiovascular
research related topics including anatomy, development, biochemistry,
molecular biology, physiology, biophysics, pathology and pharmacology.
I believe bringing cardiovascular research to the Internet will help
scientists around the world better communicate with each other.

Formation of this news group will provide the following topics:

1. An unmoderated forum for discusion of advances and development in all
   the areas of cardiovascular research.

2. A source of information for all the scientist around the world.

3. A bulletin board for ideas, meetings, funding and job
   opportunities.

Subscriptions are welcome from all agencies. I am willing to act as
current coordinator to keep the news group active.

Zhandong Zhou
Department of Physiology and Surgery
University of Wisconsin-Madison