Structure of bionet

Bullock, David bullock at
Wed Sep 7 19:38:27 EST 1994

In article <33gipu$flm at> dmack at (Dave Mack) writes:
>In article <33bkd9$qgo at>,
>Una Smith <una at> wrote:
>>James Mahaffy <mahaffy at> wrote:
>>>One of the main differences I see is fewer groups on bionet, but
>>>last couple of years have shown a great increase in the number.
>>Bionet.* now has 49 (says my .newsrc file), and* has 6.

>There are, by my count, 62 bionet groups. Here's a copy of the
>bionet checkgroups message. You may want to ask the Usenet admin
>on your news server to run it if you aren't getting that many.

This seems to me to illustrate eloquently the benefits of a central
administration.  I agree that chaos would otherwise result.  It might not be
chaos to the cognoscenti, but it would be to the average biologist.
David W. Bullock                                Tel: 64 3 325 3803
Centre for Molecular Biology                    Fax: 64 3 325 3851
Lincoln University                              E-mail: BULLOCK at
PO Box 84, Canterbury
New Zealand               "Language is the greatest barrier to communication."