Milk and Detergent mixing...

Jim Smith jim at wood.com
Thu Sep 8 21:08:45 EST 1994

	I'm sure some of you have seen the experiment in which you
mix milk with detergent (with food dyes on the surface), and observe
the resulting patterns.  The dyes spread away from the contact of
the detergent.  It would appear that the surface tension is being
broken at the site of contact, and the dyes are taken along with the
elastic pull.  However, I was told this was incorrect... perhaps
it has to do with the chemical structure of milk and the reaction
with the detergent.

	If anyone has a more detailed explanation, please send me
e-mail with your hypothesis.  I appreciate it.

Regards,
--
Jim Smith
Woodcrest Operations