Help! Strange Mold

Steve Jacobson sjacobs at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Fri Sep 9 19:47:44 EST 1994

Could anyone out there help me.  If this is the wrong newsgroup, I apoligize.

My cousin has a strange mold/organism growing throughout her house (on the
end of Long Island, NY).  It started with a leak in a gutter that eventually
got into the house (the house was cool and humid).  It incubated over the
summer and when the weather became humid, it started breeding rapidly.  The
humidity rapidly built up in the house early in the summer and everything
became damp.  The house never fully dried out.

The mold starts out with a pinkish color with a round shape (like little
droplets).  The shape then will change to become irregular.  The mold then
starts to grow and get darker (orange or brown).  It takes on all kinds of
shapes, but its favorite is round-like ameoba or protoplasm.  The mold grows
very large and spreads fast.  It covers everything, especially porus items,
like paper, wood, and fabric (also pottery, paint, and wood floors)  When the
mold gets ahold and spreads, it turns darker.  Clorox does not seem to kill
it-it sometimes lightens it a little (maybe one out of 10 cases).  There is
also a version of this mold that is gray or black.

Does anyone know what this stuff is and HOW TO KILL IT.

Thanx in advance.

Rgds
Steve Jacobson
sjacobs at maroon.tc.umn.edu