Frog question

Richard Hayward richard_hayward at MUWAYF.UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Wed Sep 14 16:45:51 EST 1994

Phil Locker said:
>I've got a small backyard goldfish pond (plastic lined, 18 inches deep).
This summer a couple >of green domestic frogs have taken up residence in it.
Winter is coming - this is Ottawa and >it gets COLD.  I always bring the
goldfish in for the winter.  I feel kindof responsible for the >frogs now,
too, since they have adopted this artificial environment I created.  If they
stay in >the pond they are sure to freeze to death.  Should I set up a
terrarium for them and
>bring them inside (assuming I can catch them).  There is no natural pond
nearby to take them >too - who knows how far they travelled to find my little
house in the suburbs.  If I bring >them in, what should I feed them?
Crickets?

Assuming these are Canadian frogs I would say that the frogs would be quite
capable of looking after themselves through winter.  Don't they have some
kind of mechanism that allows them to survive even though they have
completely frozen?  You didn't say what difference the artificial pond was
making.
RDH