Suggestion for lab relational dbase software?

Dan Diaz bl275 at cleveland.Freenet.Edu
Fri Sep 16 08:36:49 EST 1994

I am interested in hearing suggestions for software for setting up lab data
in a relational database for Mac and other platforms.

I am currently using FileMaker Pro, which altho easy to use lacks relational
capability.  I would like software which I can grow into, which will allow
the organization of diverse data types typical of a laboratory environment.

I know that FoxPro can run on Mac, Windows, and Unix - which is a plus
should my hardware change or should I find myself on a multiplatform
network.  Any comments on using FoxPro for the laboratory?  Are there
templates available for bibliographic management, grant expenditure
tracking, inventory management and the like?

4D is another popular relational dbase program for the Mac.  I am told that
the learning curve is steep and that it cannot be ported to other platforms
- any 4D fans out there to give some advice?  Thanks much.