Frog question

Beverly Erlebacher bae at oci.utoronto.ca
Fri Sep 16 16:53:51 EST 1994

In article <01HH4TJB6P4Y003JQO at muwayb.ucs.unimelb.edu.au> richard_hayward at MUWAYF.UNIMELB.EDU.AU (Richard Hayward) writes:
>Phil Locker said:
>>I've got a small backyard goldfish pond (plastic lined, 18 inches deep).
>This summer a couple >of green domestic frogs have taken up residence in it.
>Winter is coming - this is Ottawa and >it gets COLD.  I always bring the
>goldfish in for the winter.  I feel kindof responsible for the >frogs now,
>too, since they have adopted this artificial environment I created.  If they
>stay in >the pond they are sure to freeze to death.  Should I set up a
>terrarium for them and
>>bring them inside (assuming I can catch them).  There is no natural pond
>nearby to take them >too - who knows how far they travelled to find my little
>house in the suburbs.  If I bring >them in, what should I feed them?
>
>Assuming these are Canadian frogs I would say that the frogs would be quite
>capable of looking after themselves through winter.  Don't they have some
>kind of mechanism that allows them to survive even though they have
>completely frozen?  You didn't say what difference the artificial pond was
>making.

Canadian frogs bury themselves underwater in the mud in winter.  This guy's
pond is 18" deep and lined with plastic.  The ground can freeze 3-4 feet
down in Ottawa.

I don't think it's particularly easy to care for frogs indoors overwinter.
If you can't catch them and release them in some larger local body of water
(The Rideau or the Ottawa? River?), I suppose you could try overwintering
them near but above freezing, packed in wet sphagnum or something, but you
will probably feel very guilty if they don't make it.

Beverly Erlebacher
Toronto, Ontario Canada

Disclaimer:  I have no batrachian qualifications.