info on acrolein

tivol at tethys.ph.albany.edu tivol at tethys.ph.albany.edu
Tue Sep 20 15:39:19 EST 1994

Dear Sally,
	You're right to worry about the toxicity of acrolein.  I would refer to
the MSDS (materials safety data sheet) for this compound for info on handling
and disposal.  I suspect a good fume hood and standard gloves are OK, but
don't take my word for it.  After it's diluted to 1%, there should be no par-
ticular problem, but pure acrolein comes with lots of vapor--and that is an
extremely powerful eye irritant.  Perhaps someone on sci.techniques.micro-
scopy will have better information, but acrolein might not be too much more
hazardous than either glutaraldehyde or osmium tetroxide--both common EM fix-
atives.  The best way to post to sci.techniques.microscopy is to email to
microscopy at aaem.amc.anl.gov--there are microscopists who get the email ver-
sion, but not the newsgroup.  Good luck.
				Yours,
				Bill Tivol