Black by Choice?

Paul M Sheldon psheldon at utdallas.edu
Wed Sep 21 00:06:46 EST 1994

	I have two acquaintances with cancer, one of whom I know has skin
cancer of the face and has a surgery bill of $1200 every two months. She
stays out of the sun.

	The other would like to avoid sun even though she had already
contracted cancer because she is told to cut down on her roentgens after
her radiation therapy.

	So, both dread direct sunlight.

	I inquired of a number of black outdoors workmen if they were
afraid of direct contact of sunlight or they felt their people were more
immune. Two claimed that perhaps they had an increased level of
confidence against skin cancer from exposure to the sun. There evidently
is an African origin theory and perhaps, I thought, when white people
migrated to the north, where the sunlight was less direct, they lost the
need for skin pigmentation.

	If skin color were to protect from UV and therefore radiation
overdose of somebody getting radiation therapy, might one consider a
change of skin color? Might a person wish to have their skin become black
after getting skin cancer? Lives someday may be at stake.

	Have there been scientific studies (actually studying, not just
statistical incidence of cancer due to skin color before cancer) of the
value of ---changing--- skin color after cancer. Might there be a way for
a person to become black?  I seem to remember that there is a way
described in a movie or book some years ago where a fellow changed his
skin color to see what would happen.

	My question is if there is as much benefit to being black as
using umbrellas or staying in doors after you get skin cancer. Has
changing skin color been tried? Can it be done?