Andreas Brune Andreas.Brune at
Thu Sep 22 03:49:38 EST 1994

In article <35qnsi$ief at>, BIOSCI Administrator <biosci-help at> says:
>We have received a proposal below for a new newsgroup,
>The purpose of the proposed newsgroup is to establish better
>communication between symbiosis researchers, to share ideas, to solicit
>information, and disseminate news of research progress and upcoming
>events of interest to symbiosis researchers.

Due to the interdisciplinary nature of symbiosis research, there is the
definite need for improved communication among symbiosis researchers
of different provenience.

As a microbiologist who ventured into insect/microbe associations
a couple of years ago I was amazed and fascinated of the numerous
examples of such interactions of which I was completely unaware before.
Yet many of the phenomena described by and long-known to zoologists are
only marginally understood on the side of the microbes and their
physiology, mainly because only a few microbiological labs are
focusing on such questions.

A thank-you to James White for leading the initiative for this newsgroup
and his offer to serve a a discussion leader. I am looking forward to
the establishment of this newsgroup and hope it will be a valuable forum
for symbiosis research.

Andreas Brune

Dr. Andreas Brune         	Phone: 	+49-7531-883282
Mikrobielle Oekologie     	Fax:   	+49-7531-882966
Universitaet Konstanz     	E-mail:	Andreas.Brune at