Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hypertosis (DISH)

Dr. Tony Parsons parsons_a at snd01.pcr.co.uk
Thu Sep 22 14:08:36 EST 1994

In article <fskdjvdw.14 at puknet.puk.ac.za> fskdjvdw at puknet.puk.ac.za (Van Der Walt, DJ) writes:
>From: fskdjvdw at puknet.puk.ac.za (Van Der Walt, DJ)
>Subject: Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hypertosis (DISH)
>Date: Tue, 20 Sep 1994 05:53:02 GMT

>I will appreciate it if I can receive any information on Diffuse Idiopathic
>Skeletal Hypertosis (DISH), also known as Forestier's disease. What is the
>prognosis and treatment for this disease?

>Johan van der Walt
>Physics Department
>Potchefstroom University
>Potchefstroom
>South Africa

>Tel: +27-148-99-2408
>Fax: +27-148-99-2421

I hope this helps - its from OMIM at the GDB WWW server.

OMIM -- 106400
106400 ANKYLOSING VERTEBRAL HYPEROSTOSIS WITH TYLOSIS [DIFFUSE IDIOPATHIC SKELETAL HYPEROSTOSIS, INCLUDED; DISH, INCLUDED]</H2><H2><A name="TOC">TABLE OF CONTENTS

Text
References
Clinical Synopsis
Oldno
Edit History

TEXT

Beardwell (1969) described a family of Greek Cypriot extraction in which at
least 8 persons in 4 sibships in 2 generations were known to have a combination
of ankylosing vertebral hyperostosis and tylosis . The tylosis was a punctate
hyperkeratosis of the soles and palms. In addition, 6 persons had tylosis
alone; thus, these may have been 2 independent genetic traits in this kindred.
(This condition is sometimes called Forestier disease, although Forestier
described senile ankylosing hyperostosis Forestier and Rotes-Querol, 1950) and,
before Beardwell's paper, familial occurrence had never been noted.) The family
contained instances of male-to-male transmission. No member had the spinal
disease without tylosis. No further families were known to Beardwell (1978).
Involvement of the appendicular skeleton was recognized by Resnick et al.
(1975), who proposed the designation diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis
(DISH). The prevalence of DISH was studied in various population groups by
Utsinger (1985). Although DISH was thought to be less common in American blacks
as compared to Caucasians, Cassim et al. (1990) found it rather frequent among
hospitalized blacks in Africa.

REFERENCES
Beardwell, A.:  Familial ankylosing vertebral hyperostosis with tylosis.
Ann. Rheum. Dis. 28: 518-523, 1969.

Beardwell, A.: Barking, Essex, England: personal communication, 1978.
(Personal Communication)

Cassim, B.; Mody, G. M. and Rubin, D. L.: The prevalence of diffuse idiopathic
skeletal hyperostosis in African blacks
Brit. J. Rheum. 29: 131-132, 1990.

Forestier, J. and Rotes-Querol, J.: Senile ankylosing hyperostosis of the spine
Ann. Rheum. Dis. 9: 321-330, 1950.

Resnick, D.; Shaul, S. R. and Robins, J. M.: Diffuse idiopathic skeletal
hyperostosis (DISH): Forestier's disease with extraspinal manifestations
Radiology 115: 513-524, 1975.

Utsinger, P. D.: Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis.
Clin. Rheum. Dis. 11: 325-351, 1985.

CLINICAL SYNOPSIS

Spine:
   Ankylosing vertebral hyperostosis.

Skin:
   Tylosis.Punctate palmar and solar hyperkeratosis.

Inheritance:
   Autosomal dominant.

EDIT HISTORY
Last: 94/4/7mimadm:
      94/3/11 warfield:
      94/4/7 Post Comment

 Dr.Tony Parsons,			VOX   : + 44 304 616871
 Information Technology,		FAX   : + 44 304 616663
 Pfizer Central Research,
 Sandwich,        |JANET      : parsons_a at uk.co.pcr.snd01

 KENT	          |Internet   : parsons_a at snd01.pcr.co.uk