Cephalopod Physiology Helpdir

mhughes at mbcf.stjude.org mhughes at mbcf.stjude.org
Wed Sep 28 00:38:47 EST 1994

In article <SCHMIDTMD%CWISP.39 at pcmail.usafa.af.mil>,
SCHMIDTMD%CWISP at pcmail.usafa.af.mil (MICKEY D. SCHMIDT) writes:
> Since man and presumably other mammals lose bone calcium and potassium in
> space. I wonder what would happen to an octopus or squid in space.
>...that the changes in space change the human body physiology such that the
> body begins to extract calcium not directly related to the low gravity but
> perhaps some other reason that then triggers the bone degenration as a
> secondary effect. A squid or a near relative might makgood standard toto
> judge these chnges by.
> Mickey Schmidt
> schmidtmd%cwi at dfmail.usafa.af.mil

Mickey,
	This doesn't directly address your question, but there was a shuttle
mission in june of '91 ( SLS-1, or mission SDS-40 ) in which jellyfish (
aurelia aureta ) where sent into a microgravity enviroment and induced to
develop from thier polyp stage to that of free swimming ephyrea.  The
free-swimming ephyrea stage of Aurelia develop gravity receptors called
statoliths formed de novo from calcium salts.  It was tought these animals
might n experimentaxperimental model for the calcium loss evident in
astronauts. These animals built fine statoliths however, regardless of the
change in enviroment.
	  There were a number of rats that traveled the same mission as well,
and were, amoung many other things, examined for changes in the calcium-based
otoliths of thei ears.  i am unfamiliar with the conclusions from this
experiment however.
	Experimental models for this calcium loss probably depends on an
organism (animal) with similar physiology.  Perhaps squids, etc. may be
suitable, but my knowledge of cephalopd physiology is limited ( in fact
non-ant)tant).

Interesting idea.

Regards,

Mark Hughes