White muscle disease in cattle

Eric R. Hugo e_hugo at dsu1.dsu.nodak.edu
Tue Apr 11 22:47:01 EST 1995

Dear Bionetters,
	A student of mine approached me with a question concerning
a strange problem she and her husband are having on their cattle ranch.
It seems that one cow in particular has given birth to three calves in three
separate pregancies that exhibit symptoms similar to those descibed for white
muscle disease.  The info I have been able to dig up on this topic indicates
that white muscle disease is caused by either a selenium or tocopherol
deficiency.  It seems rather strange to me that only 1 calf out of >250 live
births has been exhibiting these symptoms and all three incidences have
occurred with the same cow.  Does anyone know of any bovine genetic disorder
that would produce similar symptoms? (ataxia/limb paralysis).  Or does anyone
have any pointers to resources on the net (I've checked as many WWW sites asI
could find).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
					Eric

e_hugo at dsu1.dsu.nodak.edu\ | | \\  // | | //  \\ | | \\  // | | //  \\ | |
Asst. Professor, Biology  \\ | :,\\': | //      \\ | :,\\': | //      \\ |
Dickinson State University  \\ //  \\ //          \\ //  \\ //          \\
Dickinson, ND  58601    |PGP 2.6 Key available from most key servers