Best programming language for biology students?

Michael Torok mtorok at netcom.com
Wed Apr 12 23:17:54 EST 1995

James Mahaffy (mahaffy at dordt.edu) wrote:
: Folks:

: Can you give me a feel for what is the computer language that
: most biology graduate students program in?   When I was in grad school in
: the late 70's it seemed that FORTRAN was still the most widely
: used program.  We have a course at the college that is an
: introduction to programming that uses Basic and FORTRAN.  There
: seems to be less of a demand for the FORTRAN from our engineering
: department and this next semester the course will emphasize
: mostly BASIC (a structured basic - Visual Basic for Windows) in
: the course.  Should the Biology department push for keeping the
: FORTRAN or is there another language that we should emphasize.
: We do have a also have a C language course if that is the
: direction the biologists are moving.

I think VB for Windows is a great start to learn the basics (no pun
intended) of programming. It is versatile, fairly intuitive, and allows
the programmer to create user interfaces easily and quickly. Visual C is
good for lower level programming. An introductory course on computer
architecture would also be a good idea, particularly before moving into
C and object oriented code structure.

My $.02

Michael L. Torok, M.S.              |    Specializing in:
Consulting Wildlife Biologist       |     -  radio-telemetry
Internet: mtorok at netcom.com         |     -  custom engineering and
Phone: 408-336-4530                 |        computer programming
FAX: 408-335-3115                   |     -  marine environment