Human Genome Project

Fred Rhoades fredr at
Sun Apr 16 09:13:02 EST 1995

mkennedy at (Martin Kennedy) writes:

>In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.950412173251.23773B-100000 at>, James Burns <burns at> writes:

>> Whose DNA is being sequenced? It is a very simple question, but a very
>> important one.
>> jay

>The simple answer to this question is that BITS of the genomes of
>MANY people are being sequenced.

>NNNN   NN  Martin A Kennedy (E-mail = mkennedy at  ZZZZZZZ

I did not see the original question on this thread.  I'd like to know
more about the answer to this important question:

1) Is there a list somewhere of the MANY people whose genomes are being
searched?  Are the sources known individuals and/or cell lines?
2) Have those who are administering the Human Genome project organized these
sources in any way?  Or is everyone just looking randomly at pieces of
genomes from, essentially, random samples (albeit from a likely
specialized sample of sources)?
3) The question of whose genome is the first one that comes to my mind
every time I read an article lauding the technilogical wonders and/or
potential benefits of this program in the popular press.  Yet I have
never before seen an answer to this question.  Why are populizers of this
program so afraid of dealing with this crucial question?

Fred Rhoades
Biology Department, WWU
Bellingham, WA  98225
FAX: (360) 650-3148