Tired of Car Payments?

abel at UTKVX.UTCC.UTK.EDU abel at UTKVX.UTCC.UTK.EDU
Tue Apr 18 08:40:24 EST 1995

On Tue, 18 Apr 1995, Darin Stanchfield wrote:

> HOW TO REDUCE YOUR DRIVING COSTS TO ZERO!
>
> Through working at one of the largest car dealerships in my
> state I discovered that the sales commissions for used
> vehicles are extremely high.
>
> A few months after I stopped working there, I realized that
> I could use some of the same techniques I used at the car lot
> to take advantage of the huge profits and keep 100% of the
> proceeds.
>
> I believed that this information was so valuable I wrote it
> down so you could easily extract the information and put it
> to good use.
>
> The techniques I learned can be applied to several different
> needs.  1) You can use the information to get a great deal on
> any used vehicle.  2) You can reduce your driving costs to
> zero for the year.  Or 3) You can get a great deal on a used
> vehicle, reduce your driving costs to zero and make some
> really good money.
>
> The average cost to operate a vehicle in today's economy is
> almost $4,000.00 a year, so just reducing your driving costs
> to zero would be a great help to many people.
>
> With the information I provide you, this will be easy to do.
> The next section is just one of the many secrets I'll share
> with you when you get my information.
>
> HOW TO GET A BARGAIN FROM A CAR DEALERSHIP!
>
> At most car dealerships they have cars on their lots that
> have been there for more than ninety-days.  Every day the
> cars stay on the lot they're losing money on them because
> they have to pay interest charges.
>
> The dealership will frequently give lists of the vehicles that
> are over ninety days to the salespeople, offering a cash
> incentive to move the vehicle even if the dealership loses
> money on it.
>
> So how do you stand to gain from this?  Go to a dealership
> (preferably a larger car dealer) and ask to see the vehicles
> that are over ninety days old. If you find one you like, test
> drive it and if it still fits what you want, go into the booth
> with the salesmen and he will make every effort to sell you
> the vehicle.
>
> Remember the salesmen doesn't care if the dealership
> makes money or not, he get's his cash bonus regardless and
> the sales manager is happy because he's losing money on it
> anyway.
>
> So they will work together to get you the vehicle at all costs
> even if it means they lose money on the vehicle, which
> means you will most definitely get a great deal on that
> vehicle.
>
> When you are negotiating the price of the vehicle, act as if
> you could leave the dealership at any time and that you
> really don't care if you buy the vehicle or not.  This strategy
> almost always will bring the price down without much effort
> at all.
>
> Also never take the first offer they give you, this is never
> the best deal you can get.  From my experience the
> dealerships mark up their cars about $3,000.00 per car, so
> [...]
If anyone gets this message keep in mind that this is simply a teaser
that asks you to e-mail to Drivefree at mailback.com.  What you get from
that address is an order form for his manual (and possibly put on a
mailing list????).  This is simply a solicitation for his product and not
a disgruntled car salesman sharing his secrets out of the goodness of his
heart to the rest of us wannabe car owners.

						Greg Abel
						Abel at utkvx.utk.edu

I am not suggesting that the manual is not worth the asking price, simply
that the initial e-mail may be misleading (and maybe a _little_
inappropriate for this scientific forum?).