Eating Bugs

Greg Montez GregM at
Sat Apr 29 14:07:07 EST 1995

In article <3nec24$rjp at>, kaplinsk at says...
>I was wondering if anyone knows if cockroaches are poisonous to eat (for
>humans).  In particular, I was wondering wether Blaberus (American
>cockroach) and

No, cockroaches are not particularly toxic to humans, but they can
carry human pathogens so cook them well.  Seriously, I cannot
imagine eating roaches not so much out of squeamishness but the
taste - it would be awful.  Cockroaches have waxes and proteins
in their integuement (skin/shell) that have an obnoxious odor,
and I imagine this would taste worse.
Gregory Montez
Citrus Entomology Lab
University of California