micro-measurement of oxygen

Andreas Brune Andreas.Brune at uni-konstanz.de
Thu Aug 3 03:04:46 EST 1995

In article <3vohkg$gmk at seymour.sfu.ca>,
   Michael Robinson <robinsoa at sfu.ca> wrote:

>I am a grad student at Simon Fraser University in Vancouver,
>Canada.  I am working with a parasitoid wasp which attacks Drosophila
>melanogaster, and as part of my research I need to understand the
>costs to drosophila larvae of burrowing deeper in the medium.  One
>must be the lower oxygen levels at depth. I would be interested in
>hearing from anyone in North America measuring 02 levels with micro-
>electrodes, who might be able to let me drop in on their lab to do
>some measurements of 02 concentrations at different depths in
>decaying fruit.

Mike,

we are building O2 microelectrodes and use them to characterize the
oxygen status and uptake rates of invertebrate digestive tracts and
their gut microflora.

Check for yourself is this is what you need:
Brune, A., Emerson, D., and Breznak, J. A. 1995. The termite gut
microflora as an oxygen sink: microelectrode determination of oxygen
and pH gradients in guts of lower and higher termites. Appl. Environ.
Microbiol. 61(7):2681-2687

You'll probably think it's too far to travel to Germany for the
measurements (although Lake Constance is worth the trip ;-). So you
may want to try your luck with Dave Emerson who built the m'trodes we
were using back then. He's still at Michigan State University.

Feel free to contact me for more info, or if you want to discuss the
matter.

Regards,

Andreas Brune

Dr. Andreas Brune         	Phone: 	+49-7531-883282
Mikrobielle Oekologie     	Fax:   	+49-7531-882966
Universitaet Konstanz     	E-mail:	Andreas.Brune at uni-konstanz.de