Student Seeks Advice

Anne Gillen ez049617 at dale.ucdavis.edu
Thu Aug 3 14:21:27 EST 1995

Ola Ekunkonye (olae at anshar.shadow.net) wrote:
: I am a first year university student interested in pursuing a career in
: Genetic Engineering. What is the best major to pursue for this field.
: What preparation at this level would lay the best foundation to enter
: this field. Does anyone know of a formal undergrad track toward Genetic
: Engineering etc.

: I would appreciate responses via e-mail, any insight would be of great
: assistance.

Gentic Engineering is a tool.  What do you want to study using genetic
engineering?  That is the question,  unless of course you are really
interested in the more technical aspects.  I suggest you take biology,
molecular biology, genetics and biochemistry courses.  Intro microbiology
is also good.  Work in a lab!  You will learn a lot just from scrubbing
dishes because you will be able to see what people do. Do you have the
patience to deal with lots of tiny microfugetubes ?  Grad schools want
to see that you have the initiative to get into a lab and hopefully to do
some independent research.
Best of luck,

Anne, a grad student in genetics.