Looking for Spirulina platensis strain

Bart.Nelissen nelissen at hgins.uia.ac.be
Fri Aug 4 02:40:01 EST 1995

gliang at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu wrote:
: Hi, I am trying to write a propsal something about spirulina platensis. I have
: a hard time to find the starting materials, such as spirulina platensis strain.
: If some one knows about this platensis, would you please contact me? I know
: too little about it. I would like to know more, such as where to buy the
: starting material, and so on. Too much to learn. Do need somebody help me.
: Thanks.

Hey,

Spirulina platensis is a cyanobacterium, that is sold commercially as
health food tablets. Actually, it has been named wrongly, and it should
be called Arthrospira. This new name is now widely accepted (e.g.
Bergey's Manual of Systematic Bacteriology).
It can be obtained from the PCC, UTEX or ATCC (addresses and strain numbers
below). A good article about Arthrospira (Spirulina platensis) is:

Ciferri, O., Tiboni, O. 1985. The biochemistry and industrial potential
of Spirulina. Ann. Rev. Microbiol. 39, 503-526.

Spirulina platensis is available at:

Pasteur Culture Collection of Cyanobacterial Strains in Axenic Culture (PCC)
Unite de Physiologie Microbienne
Institut Pasteur
28 rue du Docteur Roux
75724 Paris Cedex 15
France
Fax: + 33 1 4061 3042
E-mail: cyano at pasteur.fr
(Dr. R. Rippka, Dr. M. Herdman)
Strain Arthrospira platensis PCC 7345

American Type Culture Collection (ATCC)
12301 Parklawn Drive
Rockville
Maryland 20852 U.S.A
(Dr. R. Gherna)
Arthrospira ATCC 29408 (strain previous available but not listed in
recent catalogues)

Culture Collection of Algae (UTEX)
Department of Botany
The University of Texas at Austin
Austin
Texas 78712
U.S.A
(Dr. R. C. Starr)
Strain Arthrospira UTX 1926 or UTEX 1928

Hope this helps,

		Bart Nelissen

Dr. Bart Nelissen		| E-mail: nelissen at uia.ua.ac.be
Departement Biochemie		| 	  rrna at uia.ua.ac.be
Universiteit Antwerpen (U.I.A.)	| WWW	: http://www.uia.ua.ac.be/u/nelissen
Universiteitsplein 1		| Phone	: + 32 3 820 23 05
B-2610 Wilrijk (Antwerpen)	|	  + 32 3 820 23 16
Belgium				| Fax   : + 32 3 820 22 48

*	Databases of small and large ribosomal subunit RNA sequences:  *
*	WWW:	http://www-rrna.uia.ac.be/rrna/			       *
*	ftp:	uiam3.uia.ac.be					       *
*	E-mail:	rrna at uia.ua.ac.be				       *