Help: Biochemistry Labs

Steve Bottomley ibottoml at info.curtin.edu.au
Wed Aug 9 05:07:40 EST 1995

We are planning to develop a new practical laboratory class in
biochemistry and we wondered if anyone can help.  The biochemistry
course in question is a comprehensive second year unit targeted for
biomedical scientists as part of a molecular genetics degree
(microbiology or protein chemistry majors).  The experimental emphasis
will be placed on protein and nucleic acid structure and function but
will also include a metabolic component.

Rather that reinventing the wheel, we thought that it would be sensible
to review as many existing practical courses as possible - pick out the
best experiments or demonstrations from each - and incorporate them into
our practicals.

Obviously, we would acknowledge any contribution we adopt from those
courses we review. We would also supply a completed copy of our changed
laboratory course to the suppliers of those courses we review. This
would be a useful reference document in itself, because it would be the
culmination of a systematic, and analytic, review of many other
practical courses.

We are eager to begin the review as soon as possible by e-mail on
ibottom at info.curtin.edu.au. We look forward to hearing from you soon.