Gullies in business & industrial areas

Cynthia Donahey cdonahey at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Sat Aug 12 14:20:26 EST 1995

Perhaps this should be posted on a business bulletin board, rather than an
environmental one.  Everytime I work someplace new, I walk around the
parking lot and look at the surrounding land, that has been left to remain
wild.  Of course, the "For Sale" signs remain, but until time of sale,
they let the land lie fallow.  Even the trimmest and toniest commercial
development often has an area that has been let go. The row of pines will
stop abruptly; and it's just wild land.  A lot of times this is because
there is a great big gully there; and this is the best  and cheapest way to
hide it. I do believe that open, sanitary sewers in urban areas are one
partial answer to serious flooding problems facing my area of Ohio. Now
there are prettier names than that, but sometimes honesty is the best
answer.  Frankly, it would be illogical to remove the soil and use it for
fill somewhere else, so some kind of cliff or floodwall (that in some
cases, will serve both purposes) or something is more logical. The fact
that open, sanitary sewers are illegal is completely beside the point.
People like breaking the law; and those that don't like breaking the law can
change it. Will these sewers hold stagnant water or remain dry most of the
time - or can some of them actually function as some kind of real wetland.
The only fair answer would be that there would be a continuum from one
extreme to the other.  A lot of land remains to be developed. Is it
rational for some company that has made a big investment in a new
warehouse to want another warehouse close by, so they can all have six
inches of water on the floor when it rains, or to buy some adjoining
land for its drainage area? Times change. The subject of conversation can
change very quickly from stupid government regulations on wetlands and the
gulf course glut (and how to pick the toniest one) to the proper
subject of drainage and how to keep the floors dry when it rains or the
snow melts in the spring.