Monterey bird starvation strange deaths

at ictp.trieste.it at ictp.trieste.it
Tue Aug 15 00:38:12 EST 1995

There have been recently a lot of birds and some other animals
being found dead in the Monterey, California USA area. They
appear to have starved to death, though there is no apparent
food shortage.

I recall reading something years ago about a poison or perhaps
a tweaked on amino acid or something someone thought could help
weight loss or whatever, maybe a contaminant, capable of preventing
normal digestion. The phrase that sticks in my mind is that it
could result in "starving in the midst of plenty."

Does this sound familiar to anybody? Maybe if you recall this
chemical you could contact Monterey and suggest they test for this?

It might be a good idea to check for toxicological and biolgoical warfare
experimentation going on as a possible source?