(REPOST) Inexpensive research grade microscopes

Mahlon G. Kelly mgk at darwin.clas.Virginia.EDU
Wed Aug 16 00:51:00 EST 1995

The following is an offer of microscopes at prices far below
anything else available. I am posting it not to make money but to
make these units available to schools and researchers that cannot
afford more expensive instruments. If this is seen as a
commercial post, so be it. It is intended to provide instruments
that would not otherwise be affordable. Yes, we will make some
money. But we are also offering the best available values in
microscopes. The units that we are offering are 1/2 to 1/3 the
cost of equivalent "house-brands".

Yes, this message is being sent from a .edu account. I have
checked with our administrators. They see it as a public service,
that in no way conflicts with the non-commercial nature of the
net. I hope that readers will see it in the same way.

When the Soviet Union dissolved there was one factory making
high-quality microscopes. They have lost their market with the
Soviet client-states, and with the loss of funding for Russian
science, that market is gone as well. Thus the microscopes are
available at extremely low prices.

I found that in my teaching and research I was always frustrated
with the microscopes I used simply because we could never quite
afford the quality that was needed. The compromises always kept
the students from seeing what I would have wished, and I could
never quite afford what I needed for research (phase contrast
and water immersion lenses, for example).

These scopes are of top quality. While the Soviets made shoddy
consumer goods, their scientific establishment got the best. The
student scope is better than anything I taught intro courses
with, and it is $350. The top grade research scope is $950, and
is equivalent to (or better than) house brands from the major
supply houses selling for $2000 to $3000. It has apochromatic
objectives, Koehler illumination, and 5 sets of eyepieces.

Email me, and I can email you descriptions. Or give me your
postal address and I can send you a brochure with pictures and
more info. If you are not sure about selecting microscopes I have
written a manual that discusses what to look for in quality and
in various applications. I can email it or send a hard copy (the
hard copy is easier to understand because it has illustrations.)

mgk at virginia.edu

--
Associate Professor (Emeritus)
University of Virginia